Young’s Jersey Dairy Since 1869
Young’s history begins in 1869 when relatives of the Young Family built the red barn. Hap Young bought the 60-acre farm and house shortly after the end of World War II. For the next 10 years, Hap and his three sons Carl, Bob, and Bill, farmed the 60 acres, plus up to 500 additional rented acres. They grew grain, raised hogs, and milked cows.
In 1958, the Young Family decided to try to sell our Jersey milk directly to the public. The first sales room was a modest operation. We built a 10′ by 10′ room onto the end of the milk room. The equipment was also modest – some glass jugs, a refrigerator, a cash drawer, and the honor system. The customer would drive up, open the refrigerator, get his gallon of milk, leave an empty jug and the money, and drive away.